Cintsa Thatching are a Thatch Supplier based near East London, Eastern Cape.
We supply Hyparrhenia Hirta and Cape Reed Thatch.
Thatch Suppliers - Hyparrhenia Hirta
Price per bundle: dependant on size of order
(the larger the order the less paid per bundle)
Thatch Grass Specs.:
- Life Span: 20-30 years (if thatched &
compacted to the correct specifications laid out
- Durability: Very well suited to coastal
conditions but not as wind resistant as Cape Reed
- Colour: light yellow
- Harvesting: Hyparrhenia Hirta is harvested annually after the first or second frosts which cure the thatch and prevent fungal and insect infestations. An indication that this grass is
the correct maturity is that the seed heads
have all fallen off
- Thatch Supplier: based in Mphumalanga our thatch supplier provides the highest quality of hyparrhenia hirta available. Quality is very important with hyparrhenia as the quality of
grass sold by suppliers varies enormously. Cintsa Thatching only buys thatch from one supplier having created a partnership with a previously empoverished black woman - promoting the empowerment of this supplier
is not difficult as her thatch is consistently of
the highest quality
Thatch Suppliers - Cape Reed
Price per bundle: dependant on size of order (the larger the order the less paid per bundle)
Thatch Reed Specs.:
- Life Span: 20-30 years with a longer lifespan expected inland away from harsh coastal climates (if thatched & compacted to the correct specifications laid out by TASA)
- Durability: the solid core of Cape Reed means less chance of bending when compacted & less chance of wind damage. Cape Reed is a very sturdy reed and is less susceptible to damage than other reeds in the harsh coastal climates of South Africa
- Colour: rich golden brown
- Harvesting: Cape Reed is harvested every 3-6 years. Harvesting the reed promotes growth & improves the quality of the stalks
- Thatch Supplier: based in Albertina our thatch supplier has supplied Cintsa Thatching with great quality thatch for over 5 years. A common problem with Cape Reed suppliers is that they harvest the reed before it is mature which reduces the lifespan of the thatch enormously. Our suppliers are an old family run business and guarantee that our reed is harvested at the correct time and is therefore of great quality and with an expected maximum lifespan
Quality: All thatch supplied by Cintsa Thatching is guaranteed quality & has been subjected to random bundle inspection on delivery from suppliers
Delivery: Available nationwide at an additional cost.
Recycled thatch also supplied at a reduced cost.
For advice on which thatch type is most suited to your needs call our
Jonathan on 082 780 5725.
How to choose the right type of thatch to prolong the life of a thatch roof
All thatch has a lifespan – it’s a fact. No matter how well it is maintained, no matter how well it is thatched and to what thickness it is thatched at, all thatch roofs will eventually get to the point of no return and will need to be re-thatched.
There are however, ways to prolong the life of the roof; one (as mentioned above) is to have an effective maintenance plan in place. The second and most important is the choice of thatch when the roof is originally built. Read more>
Why not to buy Thatch Grass (Hyparrhenia Hirta) in the Summer...
As thatch suppliers, we have received several calls in the past few days from customers requesting sales of thatch grass (Hyparrhenia Hirta) rather than the more sturdy thatch reed that we sell all year round. The advice that we have passed on to all is to WAIT... Read more>